Young cougar spotted near Ardmore AL

Bruce Wilson Bruce Wilson

Young cougar spotted near Ardmore AL

My wife was mowing our back pasture and saw what she thought was a yellow Lab sitting in an adjoining pasture. He was just sitting and watching her. The next time around the animal got up and walked slowly to the shade of a nearby wooded area. We have several hundred acres of heavy woods adjoining our land. There is also a large creek running through it. My wife came in the house to get me. I didn't believe her, but got our 410 handgun and drove the Gator to the adjoining pasture. The animal was sitting in the middle of the pasture. The grass was about 2' high and the head was above the grass. At first I thought it might be a bobcat, but as we approached it bounded away from us, showing a long tail. It was not a bobcat or large dog, It was a cat of some sort and much larger than any domestic cat than I have ever seen. It was not large enough to be an adult cougar. We have a lot of stray cats and coyotes in our area. We have not seen any of them in a while. We are hoping the cougar "cleaned out" the woods behind us and moved on. We have three Pyrenees (120 pounds each) that can't get out of our pasture. I don't think any size cougar would last long against the three of them.
eself eself

Re: Young cougar spotted near Ardmore AL

Very interesting. It's only 15 air miles between Ardmore and Huntsville...