Recent sighting in Huntsville...

eself eself

Recent sighting in Huntsville...

Huntsville, Madison County. This shot was taken of the cat lounging on a stone wall on the south end of Monte Sano Mountain. Matching measurements of the wall and the shot, it appears that the torso was appx. 4' long. The tail can't be measured because the cat has it tucked underneath, although the initial bend in the tail can be seen. The homeowners are friends of mine and there would be no BS or Photoshopping involved...

ES
Bruce Wilson Bruce Wilson

Re: Recent sighting in Huntsville...

I can't see it.
eself eself

Re: Recent sighting in Huntsville...

Bruce, you can't see it until you click on it. The web page didn't center the cat...

E.

On 7/11/2014 7:56 AM, Bruce Wilson [via AlabamaCougarNet.com] wrote:
I can't see it.

http://alabamacougarnet-com.969973.n3.nabble.com/Recent-sighting-in-Huntsville-tp4022827p4022832.html
To unsubscribe from Recent sighting in Huntsville..., click here.
NAML

eself eself

Re: Recent sighting in Huntsville...

Scroll to the right to see it...
Glenn McDaniel Glenn McDaniel

Re: Recent sighting in Huntsville...

Nice Bobcat!
eself eself

Re: Recent sighting in Huntsville...

Bamabelle Bamabelle

Re: Recent sighting in Huntsville...

Head looks just like bobcat, but body looks like something else. Lynx? Weird.
eself eself

Re: Recent sighting in Huntsville...

That was my first thought and also the thought of the couple who own that wall and took the pic. My thought is and was that it could be a young cougar, when the head is still large in relation to the torso. I posted the link to a page of pix of youngsters. However, the youngsters usually still have a lightly speckled coat. On another board, one guy suggested that it was a deer carcass (!?!?) draped over the wall with a bobcat head Photoshopped on. He was a Penn State fan, judging from his username. I didn't bother to tell him that whitetails in this area are much darker than that. I have a shot I took a couple of years ago in Monte Sano State Park, about two blocks from my home. It's of a pug mark almost 4" across. I laid my hiking stick down by it for reference. A bobcat hasn't lived with a paw that large...
Glenn McDaniel Glenn McDaniel

Re: Recent sighting in Huntsville...

Beautiful Bobcat! not a Cougar!!!
eself eself

Re: Recent sighting in Huntsville...

No, Glenn. I went down and measured the area covered on the wall and it's a full 4'. No bobcat has ever lived with that length of torso. Not even lynx are that long. Given the head, I've come to wonder if it's a hybrid of some kind. Those sometimes do occur with thin populations, along the perimeter. Maybe a male cougar came upon a female bobcat in heat and she looked like the best looking girl left in the bar at 2:00 AM. :) Did you look at the page I put up of immature cougars? Some of their heads look remarkably like bobcats. However, they still have some spots, whereas this cat has the normal tawny cougar color. With one spotted as nearby as Ardmore and one roadkill at Chase, 6-7 miles from here, I think we'll know for sure before long...SHJD6