Cougars are protected in Alabama

GVMcDaniel GVMcDaniel

Cougars are protected in Alabama

Cougars are protected in Alabama by both state and federal laws. The fines can be very costly, up to 100,000 dollars by the federal courts if the cougar is a Fla Panther. There is no way that the average person can tell the difference from a western cougar and a fla panther. Only through dna and by a trained professional can we tell the difference. In other words a cougar is a cougar is a cougar any where it is found.
It is known that western cougars are despersing to the east. However the recent hunting seasons in The Dakotas might slow this down. It is also known that the fla panther is finding its way to the north and expanding its range back into some of its old territories, like the one that was killed near West Point, Ga in 2008. And this is just across the Alabama line. We have not had a credible confirmation since the 60's and this was in Clarke County twice in the 60's.During this time a conservation officer reported finding a den with cubs in north Baldwin county.  This is the most elusive animal out there, they are nocturnal and avoid humans and human activity. Maybe soon someone will get a picture or find a track. Please remember to get a confirmation you have to report the evidence to a conservation official biologist or conservation officer. If you do get a good picture of a cat or track let them know. If you find a track, remember to cover it with something like a bucket or can large enough to not damage the track. I can identify tracks also. Pictures must be clear enough to make a good identification and reported to the Alabama Conservation Dept. Keep up with this site! I try to update information as it comes in. Mean while, put out your game cameras and good hunting!
GVM
Boomer Boomer

Re: Cougars are protected in Alabama

I was told recently by a game warden that if I saw a cougar and even if it attacked me I could not shoot it.
GVMcDaniel GVMcDaniel

Re: Cougars are protected in Alabama

The chances of being attacked are very slim, even in areas where there are cougar populations. you can research cougar attacks in the US for the last 100 years an you will see that you have a better chance of being struck by lighting than being attacked by a cougar. There are records on the net that give all the data.
Cougars are very sly and try to stay away from humans. although it happens but very rarely. There are more attacks by dogs and the biggest injury for humans actually comes from the whitetail deer, and vehicles. I suppose the old fear of a wild animal is where most of the stories come from. Yes, it does happen, but very rarely!
Jason j Jason j

Re: Cougars are protected in Alabama

We've had a bunch of dogs come up missing in Atmore where we hunt my brother took a picture of a track and emailed it to me and he also emailed it to the wildlife management officers in the area do you have an email to where I can send you the picture and let you take a look at it??