Cougar Siting

rolltide422 rolltide422

Cougar Siting

In approximately 1964-65 my cousin & I were hiking in the woods near our homes ( Marshall County, Alabama near the Asbury Community ) when we spotted a full grown cougar in a shallow part of a creek below where we had been looking for arrowheads. The creek was at the bottom of a deep ravine, heavily wooded. We tried to get a little closer but it must have heard us and it ran away. It had a long tail and tan in color. It blew our minds, seeing this thing and we left the woods immediately. We were probably within 20 yards of it when it ran off. There is no way we were mistaken. It definitely was a cougar. We also had seen large cat tracks in our garden before this. ( Glenn, you need to contact the newspaper in Guntersville, Al.   " Advertiser-Gleam" about " RECENT SITINGS " in Marshall County ). Thanks, J.F. Garner
bayjo bayjo

Re: Cougar Siting

I frequented east Marshall County wilderness ("Sarah Burns" Gorge area, East of Buck's Pocket) area in 1969 and 1970; a friend owned some 40 acres, and we camped out for several nights, 2-3 times each summer. The occasional cougar screams at night were unmistakable, confirming multiple locals' multiple sightings. Humans have no more right to the planet than our indigenous wildlife ... it is our responsibility to keep them from harm. I sure do hate that we just can't stand the thought of leaving them alone.